The Q&A Archives: Roundup

Question: I have an ornamental Tree/Shrub that around it I sprayed Roundup yo kill weeds growing up through the ground cover of rocks.

The Roundup seem to be affecting the tree. Is there any suggestions to deactivate the Roundup.

Answer: As you've discovered, Round-Up is a non-selective vegetation killer. If you spot spray weeds, it will remain on the weed and travel down to kill the roots. It typically remains in the roots of the targeted weed rather than traveling through the soil. If you sprayed the entire area above the root zone of your tree, the Round-Up will translocate into the soil and be taken up by the roots as it is carried by water. Once it is in the root system of the tree or shrub, it will remain until it biodegrades. How much damage it can cause will remain to be seen. There's no way to get it out of the tree's system. The Round-Up that was not taken up by plant roots will biodegrade in slightly over 2 weeks when exposed to sunlight and fresh air. Wish I had more positive information to share.