The Q&A Archives: horsetail & moles

Question: I have a ton of horsetail growing amongst my garden of tomatoes and such...what is the best way to get rid of this horrible root based weed? Also, we have a ton of moles but I dont' want to use poison as I have 2 dogs that catch and occasionally eat the moles...what is the best most cost effective way to handle them? The rocks in their mole holes are really messing up my lawnmower blades. We have 2.5 acres so this is on a large scale. Thank you.

Answer: You can eradicate horsetail by diligently cutting it down as soon as it emerges. If you keep cutting it down before the foliage appears and photosynthesis can take place, the roots will eventually run out of stored energy and die. I've managed to clear an entire slope of horsetail by mowing it down every few days for a whole summer. It's gone, gone, gone. You can do the same. Use a hoe instead of a mower in your veggie garden.

Moles are nearly impossible to control without using a trap. Scissors type traps can be set in the main runs. Covered with boards and soil (to keep out sunlight) will also protect your dogs from the traps.

Best wishes with both your projects!