The Q&A Archives: dying tree

Question: I have a 8ft sugar pine that is turning brown and needles are falling off. It gets a lot of sun and water, I treated it for spider mites and nothing works. We have some green tips on some of the branches. Please help. Nancy Williams

Answer: Your tree is most likely suffering from a soil moisture problem. Dry conditions, especially on newly planted trees, can cause needle browing and drop. Other possble causes include needle blights (fungal diseases that are often brought on by frequent wetting of the foliage and which can be managed with fungicide sprays), or possibly an attack of mites of other such pests on the foliage. I suggest that you take a sample from the plant along with a photo of the plant in its growing location (if possible) to your County Extension Office to see if they can help diagnose the problem and recommend an appropriate course of action. Thanks for the question. Please stop in again soon!