The Q&A Archives: cedar has no bark

Question: I have an old red cedar in my front yard that is about 60' tall. About two years ago it started losing its bark. Now it is completely gone. We're been having drought conditions here. Could that be the problem and what can I do? I'd hate to lose this tree.

Answer: Stephanie,

Outer bark can shed from a tree without it losing the living inner bark. If it is the inner bark that is being lost the tree can't survive and will quickly turn brown. So if you tree is still green and relatively healthy looking I suspect that the bark loss is not a concern but as you indicated may be related to the extended drought you all have been experiencing. During drought it is best to provide a wide are beneath the branch spread a good deep soaking once a week or so if possible.