The Q&A Archives: gray and black bug

Question: In the past I have sprayed my tomatoe plants with Seven to control the gray and black bugs that destroy them seemingly overnight. I need suggestions for organic control. Thanks.

Answer: Based on your description, I am not certain exactly which pest this is. It might be blister beetles or stink bugs, for example. These can be controlled early in the season using insecticidal soap, and by regularly mowing weedy areas near the garden to prevent them harboring there. Then each fall do a thorough clean up of the garden and weedy area to limit them overwintering. Since I am not certain which pest, I would also suggest you consult with your local county extension to obtain a more specific diagnosis and based on knowing that, decide how to control them. If additional control action is needed, they will have the most up to date information on what to use and how/when is best to use it for maximum results and should be able to explain organic gardening alternatives.