The Q&A Archives: Day lilies

Question: Some of my day lilies get a lot of yellow leaves. Some do quite well. I have very sandy soil but have been amending it. I have quite a few lilies in different parts of the yard. Can this be from getting too dry, being overwatered, nutrients leaching out of the soil? I need suggestions. Thank you very much. I really appreciate this Q & A forum.

Answer: Some daylily cultivars actually have yellow leaves so make sure that yours are normally green and not one of the yellow leaved varieties. If they were green before and are yellowish now, it indicates a need for fertilizer or is a symptom of overwatering. If the soil doesn't drain well and remains moist for extended periods of time, you'll be doing your plants a favor if you dig them up, amend the soil with organic matter to facilitate good drainage and then replant them. You can try fertilizing first - if that doesn't improve their color, dig them up this fall, amend the soil and then replant.

Best wishes with your daylilies. Glad you like the Q & A forum!