The Q&A Archives: Insects

Question: There are many very small black flys flying around all of my plants. It started on one plant and then it got to some of the other ones. I do not think that they do any thing wrong but they are in my way. I read about fungus gnats and I think that they are that. What are the flys, how do I get rid of them, and are the putting my plants in amy danger to my plants?

Answer: They probably are fungus gnats. These little pests feed and breed in decaying organic matter - in this case, moist potting soil. You can put a temporary barrier over the potting soil in your containers; plastic wrap or aluminum foil works well. Keep it on for a week or two and the gnats should die off. Or, cover the soil with a half-inch layer of sand or decorative rock. Either will keep the gnats from living in the potting soil. After you've covered the exposed soil, set a couple of traps to get the gnats that are flying around. I put an inch of vinegar in a glass or bottle and set a few of them in among the houseplants. The gnats are attracted to the vinegar, fly in and drown.

Best wishes with your houseplant collection.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"