The Q&A Archives: air

Question: I have heard that after hair spray can is gone; the can sprays CO2. I think that that is good for the plants because plants grow 30% faster and it can dust of the leaves; so they get more sunlight. Is this true or will it hurt the plants? Or can use the same type but not hair spray.

Answer: If the hairspray contains a lacquer or similar ingredient, a trace of it it could damage the plant. I am not sure what the propellent is in modern hairspray, but even if it could assist plants I don't think the small amount would have any effect unless in a very tightly closed environment. I have heard of people rigging up systems for use in aquarium underwater plantings, but not for terrestrial plants. I'm sorry I can't give you a more specific answer.