The Q&A Archives: Lilac

Question: My Lilac(Syringa) plant blooms every spring, but the blooms are all at the top of the plant. The rest of the plant has brown dried flowers instead of new flowers. I need help as to how to fix this problem. The plant is about 5ft tall, in a flower bed,and in a full sun area. Please help.Thank You

Answer: As you've discovered, lilacs bloom at the very tips of the newest growth. To encourage blooms all over the plant, you'll want to prune it back a bit every year. This will encourage new flowering shoots. Lilacs form their flower buds over the summer months for the following year's display so timing is everything in terms of pruning. To assure good blooming each year, prune your shrub back immediately after the flowers are spent. You should get two potentially flowering shoots at the site of every pruning cut. Hope this information helps!