The Q&A Archives: squash bugs

Question: The eggs are already on the back of the leaves of my squash plants. Help. I need to get rid of these creatures before they march through the plants and destroy them. I would like to do it organically. Thank you. (These bugs when developed are grey in color and look like small tanks)

Answer: I have fought squash bugs in my gardens and here is what works for me. First, squish the bugs and their eggs. I've tried going out every three days or so and squashing the bugs I found along with any of their eggs. Their amber-colored eggs are laid in clusters underneath the leaves, usually in the protected area between two leaf veins. If you are squeemish about squashing them, carry a can of kerosene or alchohol and drop them into that. If you will set a board under the plants near the stem, you will find they like to congregate beneath it during the day. This makes them "sitting ducks"! A piece of aluminum foil laid around the stem like a mulch will also harbor them. Second, I spray occasionally with a pyrethrin/rotenone product. This is an organic option with good "knock down power" on the bugs.