The Q&A Archives: Japanese Anemone

Question: I have a Japanese Anemone planted in an area, I shouldn't have planted it in. What is the best way to get rid of it. I have tried digging it up, but the roots grow every which way underground, and I don't manage to get them all, then they are back the following year.

Answer: This perennial will spread by underground runners, so if you try to dig it out it is important to take all of the roots. One way to propagate it is by root division in winter, so leaving bits in the ground will actually increase the planting. Also be sure to deadhead so it does not seed itself about. Apart from carefully digging and following each root to its end (sometimes as far as several feet away), you might try spot treating with an herbicide containing glyphosate. Read and carefully follow all of the label directions. This is a nonselective herbicide so in a flower bed situation you may find you have better control using a wipe-on application technique rather than spraying. Good luck with your anemone eradication!