The Q&A Archives: Shade trees for red clay soil

Question: Hi:
I've got two garden goals and need your advice:
1. I'm trying to create a privacy hedge along my property line with evergreens. I would like to know which evergreens are a) native to Northern Virginia (i'm 10 miles outside of Washington, D.C.); b) thrive in our red clay soil; c) are fast-growing, drought-tolerant, disease-resistant and top off at about 7-8 feet (don't need trimming)?
2. I'm trying to plant a lot of shade trees in my large (quarter acre) front yard to reduce the lawn area I need to mow. What are large shade trees that are native to my region, grow fast and are drought-tolerant and disease-resistant?
As you can see, I'm trying to be ecologically aware, and also trying to make a low-maintenance front yard that is attractive.

Answer: I applaud your efforts! Here's a link that will be of interest to you:

On the right hand side of the page you'll find a column with lists and tables of suitable shrubs and trees for your gardening region. I think you'll find just the right plants for your yard.

Best wishes with your new landscape!