The Q&A Archives: Vegetables growing very slow

Question: My vegetable garden in years past has always been full and lush with lots of produce. The last two years have been disappointing. Most of my squashes and even tomato's are growing so slow that I don't think they are going to fruit before season's end. I have tried amending the soil but I'm not sure what would help. Any ideas?

Answer: It sounds as though you are an experienced gardener so I know how disappointing it must be to have your veggies just sit there and do nothing. As long as you have not used herbicides on your garden plot, the only other reason for poor growth would be environmental. Cool temperatures (both soil and air) can make the plants just sit and wait for warmer weather. A lack of sufficient sunshine can do the same. Perhaps nearby trees and shrubs have grown enough to shade the area? Next year you can try planting short-season varieties and get a jump-start on the season by starting seeds indoors so you can transplant out into the garden earlier than usual. Aside from these suggestions, there's not much you can do to rush your garden to maturity.