The Q&A Archives: lawn care

Question: How often and for how long should my sprinklers run in the summer? My sod is only 4 mos old.

Answer: I wish there were a specific recipe for watering a lawn, but there are many variables. It all depends on the soil type, the type of lawn and the weather. Your goal is to water deeply to encourage deep rooting so heat doesn't stress the lawn. You'll need to begin by figuring out how much water your sprinkler system puts out. To do this, place empty tuna cans or cat food cans on the lawn and turn the sprinklers on. Wait 15 minutes and then check the amount of water in the cans. If it's less than an inch, turn the sprinklers on again and time to see how long it takes to get one inch of water in the cans. This is how long you should set the timer to deliver water. Depending upon water pressure it could be 15-30 minutes or more. Most lawns will be happy with one inch of water per week. If weather is very hot, you may want to water every 4 days. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"