The Q&A Archives: Do you really need a female and male Bittersweet to have blooms in the fall?

Question: My Bittersweet has never had the lovely blooms in the fall that I had looked forward to. A friend said you need a

Answer: Your friend is right. Bittersweet plants are dioecious with fruit produced only on female plants. These plants are grown from cuttings and the females will always be identified as such. You can tell the difference in the blossoms, but you'd almost have to be a botanist to dissect them and identify the male and female parts. Instead, check around local nurseries to find a female plant and you'll have beautiful flowers. Or, wait until they are in bloom in your neighborhood and finding a female in a nursery should be really easy.

Best wishes with your landscape!