The Q&A Archives: Winter care for Osteospermum

Question: I have some Osteospermums (Mums)in the garden and some in pots. They seem to grow better in the pots. Last year I cut them down like regular mums in the garden but they did not come back. What can I do to keep these beauties over the winter in zone 5

Answer: Osteospermum are tender perennials so most of us in cold climates have to treat them as annuals. The information I found on overwintering sounds very much the same as you would annual geraniums; take the plant inside and either treat as a house plant for the winter or pinch a stem off for rooting and keep the rootings indoors during the winter months. Next spring take them outdoors and sink the pots into the garden so you can enjoy the flowers all summer.

Best wishes with your Osteospermums!