The Q&A Archives: Coleus - Vibrant Color Disappearing!

Question: Bought BEAUTIFUL Coleus from HD! Grew quickly, but gorgeous colored area in leave is shrnking in size and has gone very dull or faded! I read another question about fading and it answered maybe too much sun, but mine are in the shade. I also water them with a

Answer: Too much sunshine can make the colors fade, but older leaves tend to lose their colors, as well. Pinching your coleus plants back to encourage healthy new leaf growth will help you maintain that bright, vibrant color. Give it a try by pinching the oldest leaves down. To test this theory, pinch out several of the oldest leaves on the backside of the plant. New growth should appear and I think you'll find the new leaves will have those vibrant colors you desire.