The Q&A Archives: Kalanchoes

Question: my plants does not grow up; it grow side ways. I think that the one that I have is a kalanchoe blossfeldiana hybrid and it is not growing right. The plants looks healthy but it side ways until it goes out of the pot and then it goes down the side of the pot. It keeps the top of the plant more up and it forms a U shape. It is going to go onto the floor and it has never flowered. What is up with this plant? It was hard to find what this plant was because it looks so different.

Answer: Based on your description I am not certain this is a Kalanchoe blossfeldiana variety. As far as I know, most of these are stiffly upright and do not trail. Seeing it flower would possibly help identify it, but without knowing what it is it can be difficult to get it to bloom.

You might have some other sort of related Crassula, there are some that trail such as C. pellucida. Or, perhaps you have some sort of Sedum such as the one pictured next to bottom row at

There are so many different kinds of succulents and they are very "collectible" but, they can be so difficult to identify. You might try asking your local reference librarian to help you find photos of succulents and look for a match. Best of luck with your quest!