The Q&A Archives: Die out on Oleandners

Question: I have three large Oleander bushes that are rather old. I do not know how old as they were on the property when I bought it. I noticed this summer that they have had a lot of die back. I think I'm not caring for them properly. I watered them some during our drought but grass has grown around them and I doubt if fertilizer is reaching their roots. Any suggestions?

Answer: Ordella,

Your plants may have a leaf scorch disease. Your County Extension Office can assist you with determining if this is the case. They may also just be suffering from dry conditions or some other such stresses, although you did mention watering them. This winter try cutting them back severely and then water and fertilize them to get some fresh new growth.