The Q&A Archives: mandeville plant

Question: I purchased a mandeville plant @ home depot in early june. it had been doing well until about 2 weeks ago. I noticed the leaves getting small,black spots then turning yellow and falling off. I have the plant in good potting soil,direct sun and water regulary.I also water with miracle grow.I never had this problem with mandevilles.

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I am not able to diagnose the problem specifically. Mandevilla is generally pest and disease free, although I have found some reference to bacterial disease problems that can sometimes occur if the foliage is left wet overnight.

I would suggest you consult with your local Rutgers cooperative extension to obtain a definite identification of the problem and based on knowing that, decide what to do. If a chemical control is needed, they will have the most up to date information on what to use and how/when is best to use it.

In the meantime, avoid wetting the foliage when you water, and keep the plant in a very sunny location with good air circulation. Remove the affected foliage and dispose of it in the trash to limit reinfection. I'm sorry I can't be more specific for you.