The Q&A Archives: Root Depth of Golden Bamboo

Question: How deep does the root system go and how can I prevent new shoots from going into my neighbor's yard.

Answer: Golden Bamboo is a running bamboo so if you take the time at planting to place a barrier in the ground, your bamboo will be contained to a specific area. Most bamboo will be sufficiently contained using a 24" deep barrier. Use a 30 mil black plastic to line the sides (not the bottom) of the planting trench. Here's how:

Determine the extent of the area to be given over to the bamboo. Dig a trench around the entire area and place the barrier inside.

Place the barrier into the trench. Overlap the ends of the
Place the top edge of the barrier approximately 1 inch above the finish grade. This will deter overgrowth and make annual maintenance easier.
Plant your bamboo. Be sure the planting area still drains well or the root system will rot.

Good luck with your new privacy screen!