The Q&A Archives: plants

Question: could you just guess what the plant might be. The one that I said that the leaves have brown spots on them; you were right it is a prayer plant. It is short, some pink leaves, thick green leaves, and there is no stem. Just guess on common plants and not uncommon house plants?
Please I need to find out what this plant is and I have looked through four house plant books.

Answer: Here are my best guesses:
Philodendron x 'Autumn', a self heading variety, with narrow leaves that unfold in an orange-red and mature to more subdued olive green.

Croton: Many varieties of different shaped leaves with colors ranging from nearly all black through red, green, orange, pink, cream and any combination. Unusually twisted and sectioned leaves are very ornamental.