The Q&A Archives: Japanese Maples

Question: I've recently purchased a japanese maple from Home Depot and I've noticed the leaves are curly and turning brown on the edges. Is this from the sun? We're in a foggy area. I've tried watering more in case that's the issue. Any suggestions on a young maple would be helpful. I have added plant food. Thank you.

Answer: Japanese maples appreciate growing in a site that provides only filtered sunlight; afternoon sun can burn the leaf margins. Some plants outgrow this by developing more sun-tolerant foliage as they mature. If you have a choice, plant your maple in a morning sun/afternoon shade area. If not, expect some of the leaves to develop crispy margins by mid-summer. It won't hurt the tree, but it does look unsightly.

Best wishes with your landscape!