The Q&A Archives: Japanese Maple Tree

Question: I would like to know how to care for this type of tree. I just purchased a new home with new landscaping. One of my trees is brown and the other is leaning to the side. I want to care for them so they will be healthy. Any advice?

Answer: Once established, Japanese Maple will benefit from spring applications of a complete garden fertilizer such as 16-4-8 or 12-4-8. Prune as needed to thin branches and to develop a desired shape. You'll want to water deeply once each week during the growing season to keep your tree happy. If one of your trees is brown, it isn't getting adequate water. Try watering once or twice a week on a regular basis to see if you can encourage healthy new growth. If you see it responding, you can stake it upright and it should be on its way to recovery. If no new growth appears, you may have to remove the tree and replace it with a healthy specimen.

Best wishes with your new home and landscape!