The Q&A Archives: Crab grass

Question: I turned over my soil and removed all crab grass but it grown back very fast. I put down crab grass killer then I will put down more grass seed and fertilizer. how do i grow the grass faster then the crab grass

Answer: If you used a pre-emergent crab grass killer, it will prevent your desired grass seed from germinating as well. Be sure to read and follow all of the directions on any lawn product you use.

It is always a challenge to get lawn grass up and growing before the crabgrass takes over. Crabgrass is an annual, while the lawn grasses are perennial. As your lawn becomes healthier it will crowd out the crabgrass.

Keep in mind also that each time you disturb the soil you bring more weed seeds to the surface where they can germinate. Here is some additional information on lawn weed control you may find helpful.

Good luck with your lawn this summer!