The Q&A Archives: Problems with squirrels

Question: How do I keep the squirrels from eating my tomatoes? I have tries the pie plates. I have heard different recipes for sprays. What is the best thing to do without having to completely cover them with chicken wire fences? ( I don't like that idea because they are planted on the side of my house and there is not much room as it is)

Answer: You could try the granular or spray on repellents labelled for squirrels, or you could try a pepper-wax spray or you could try sprinkling dried blood meal on the ground around the plants. Another remedy that sometimes works is to provide some plain water in a shallow pan nearby for the squirrels to drink -- sometimes they go after tomatoes because they are thirsty. I hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"