The Q&A Archives: How to Sterilize Fruit Tree

Question: HELP!! I have a HUGE pear tree in my backyard, that bears zillions of pears every year. Problem, I don't get the chance to enjoy my yard. Once the fruit begins to show up; so do the birds, bees, rabbits, squirrels, opossums, etc. in addition to complaints from my neighbors of the partially eaten fruit left behind. I spend major time cleaning/picking up the leftovers. How can tree be sterilized? Still a great shade and too costly to cut down.

Answer: There is a product called Florel Fruit Eliminator that can reduce or prevent fruit set, but to be effective you must apply it correctly as indicated on the label directions. If the timing is wrong it won't do the job. Also, eliminating the fruit will reduce the resources available to your local wildlife population.