The Q&A Archives: Grass Seed

Question: About six weeks ago I dug up and cleared out my existing lawn. Planted seed (for both sun and shade) with a Scotts dropper. Put hay on top to protect from birds. Lots of bare spots, some quite large (and also some weeds in places) in lawn. What do I do?

Answer: You have done quite well so far. Midsummer is the most difficult time of year to try to plant grass. Early September is the best time of year. I would suggest you wait until then to replant the bare spots. To replant, loosen the soil down about six inches, work in organic matter such as compost, then keep the area evenyly moist like a wrung out sponge while the seed is germinating and becoming established. Here is more information you may find helpful.

Good luck with your lawn!