The Q&A Archives: what causes brown tips on leaves

Question: I was given an Syngonium in April . It has been growing but has browning on edges and tips of some new growth. I have it in the office so it has ideal light. and I have not overwatered it either.What do you suggest I do to make it look healthier? I cut off the brown from the leaves also. The pot is not too small either.

Answer: Browning of leaf tips can indicate improper watering, exposure to cold drafts, insect attack, or excess fertilizer. The water quality may be suspect; how about watering with distilled or bottled water? Make sure your plant is not in the path of an air duct. Try misting the plant to increase humidity. You can pinch the plant back to remove the browning leaves and encourage more branching, and/or you can remove the brown leaves and hope the plant produces new ones. If it doesn't, you can always cut the stem back which will promote new growth.

Best wishes with your plant!