The Q&A Archives: persimmon

Question: I would like to know how often I should water my persimmon tree its only been in the ground for about 1 year and its not that big ( 4ft-5ft ) ,but it did fruit. The tree receives sunlight from sun rise to sun set and the fruit did sunburn a little. Thanks for any info.

Answer: Your persimmon tree should be happy with one deep soaking per week during the growing season. I think the easiest way to water deeply is to make a watering basin or water well beneath the tree. Fill the basin, allow to drain, then fill it a second time. Watering in this way will concentrate the moisture over the root mass and allow it to trickle down, wetting the entire root mass. Once a week should do it, unless you have very sandy soil. Sandy soil drains very quickly and doesn't retain much moisture. You can water as described above, then wait 3-4 days and dig down into the soil. If it is still moist 2" below the surface, you won't need to water for a few more days; if it is dry, it's time to water.

Best wishes with your persimmon tree!