The Q&A Archives: Hibiscus

Question: I bought 2 nice hisbicus plants from Home Depot a year ago. They bloomed off & on all last summer and during the winter indoors in our sunroom. They bloomed early this spring but have not bloomed this summer. I am still feeding, they are in giant tera cota pots, I pruned before spring.....are they dormant? Will they bloom again?

Answer: Your plants should bloom again as long as they are growing vigorously. The hard pruning will cause a delay of several months before blooms appear again. If you would rather have continuous blooming, prune selectively throughout the year. Remove the longest branches one or two at a time rather than doing an all over pruning all at once. Be sure you are fertilizing regularly and keep the soil generously moist while they are outdoors to encourage vigorous growth.