The Q&A Archives: gophers

Question: I lived outside of the city and have bad gophers problems. I also dogs so how can I get rid of these gophers. I tried sonic devices, windmill that vibrate so what will work to have them move on?

Answer: Gophers and moles feed on grubs and other insects in the soil. As long as you have healthy soil teaming with beneficial insects and their larvae, you'll have the potential for attracting gophers. To get rid of gophers, invest in a scissors-type gopher trap, and set it carefully - as often as necessary to catch and kill the entire population. Once you've gotten rid of the gophers, encourage your neighbors to do the same. If it's any consolation, gophers in your yard are a compliment to your skills as a gardener. They prefer rich, moist, organic soil teeming with insects!