The Q&A Archives: When to harvest vegetables

Question: I found an answer to a question that pointed me in the right direction-almost. There was a link given ( that I tried to access but is no longer available. I planted a rich vegetable garden, but this is my first time and now that everything is coming in, I'm not sure when it is the best time to start harvesting. How do you know when corn is ready? Also, I have lemon cumcumbers which I've never even seen before but I decided to plant it. When are they ready?
Thanks for your help!
P.S. one answer provided timelines for when to harvest (i.e. 50-60 days after planting) but I don't remember when I planted. Also, some were plants when I planted them, not seeds.
Thanks again!

Answer: Sorry about the broken link. Here's a different website with information you can print off and keep:

The bottom line is - experience will teach you when your veggies are ripe. So, use the guide at the above web address and in no time at all you'll be an expert!

Your lemon cucumbers should be ready to pick when they are about 2" or 3" in diameter and still a light yellow. As they mature they will turn a deeper yellow and the seeds will be hard, which detracts from their flavor.

Best wishes with your veggie garden!