The Q&A Archives: Lawn

Question: I keep having these brown spots that appear in my lawn. I just get one patch cleaned up and another appears. I put down some stuff that was supposed to take care of it, but I am still seeing these brown spots. The grass dies. I reseed. Another place turns brown. What gives? Thanks

Answer: It's really difficult to diagnose lawn problems without knowing the cultural care they're getting, but here's my best guess: Brown Patch. Brown Patch is most common to Bermuda, Kentucky Bluegrass, Centipede Grass, Bent Grass, St. Augustine, and ryegrasses in regions with high humidity and/or shade. Brown patch commonly starts as a small spot and can quickly spread outwards in a circular or horseshoe pattern up to a couple of feet wide. Often times, while expanding outwards, the inside of the circle will recover, leaving the brown areas resembling a smoke-ring. The best prevention for brown patch is to aerate often, reduce shade to affected areas, and follow a fertilization schedule. The most common fungicides used on Brown Patch are: benomyl or chlorothalonil. Be sure to apply according to label directions. Good luck with your lawn!