The Q&A Archives: Centipede grass

Question: I planted 10 lbs of centipede grass on July the 14th. My yard was full of crabgrass. I did not want to kill the grassgrass with a herbicide because I was afraid that I would not be able to get the seed down during the growing season. When can I start to kill the crabgrass and with what chemical? To beat the crabgrass down until I can kill it, when can I get my mower in the lawn and not worry about distrupting the centipede seed?

Answer: Keep the soil moist but not soggy until new growth appears. Begin mowing to a height of 1 and 1/2 inches when the grass reaches a height of 2 inches. Be sure the mower blades are sharp, and do not mow when the grass and/or soil is wet.

You can apply a crabgrass preventer in October to control poa annua and in February to prevent crabgrass. Use a product like Vigoro Ultra Turf Crabgrass Preventer (without fertilizer) in October and Vigoro Ultra Turf Centipede Weed and Feed in February.

Good luck with your new lawn!