The Q&A Archives: grass won't groe

Question: We bought a home recently and the front lawn has large patches that are bald and won't grow grass. It is a centipede lawn. I have tried reseeding, fertilizing, watering, adding lime, but nothing seems to work. Mainly clay soil. Any suggestions? I'm very frustrated and since I work at Home Depot, everyone looks at my yard. Thanks.

Answer: Jack,

I suggest you consider having a soil test done of the soil in the problem spots. Perhaps some nutrient is way out of balance. Most of what you mentioned should have helped. Liming should not be needed for centipede to be happy.

I also suggest you take a photo of the turf and a 4" X 4" sample of sick, not dead, turf to your County Extension Office and see if they can identify the problem and if necessary prescribe an appropriate remedy.