The Q&A Archives: Purple Plum tree problems

Question: I planted a purple plum a couple of months agao, It seemed like it was doing fine, but a couple of weeks ago it dropped most of its leaves and I noticed a lot of sap at the bottom of the trunk. How much water and how often? Fertilizer? Please help my tree!

Answer: Although there are some exceptions, purple plum trees don't live very long in the Valley of the Sun. I do believe they could survive with shade during the most intense time of the day, and with their trunk wrapped or painted to protect from sunscald, but other than that, my luck with them has not been good. All three of
mine, which were planted in full sun, started losing leaves and oozing sap within 2 years of planting. They eventually died. I would recommend removing and replacing your tree with something that fares better in your gardening region. Chinese elm survives the hot weather; palms of all kinds and citrus trees do well, too.