The Q&A Archives: Pruning seedless grapes

Question: I planted 3 grape vines about 11 years ago. The first and 5 years I had buckets and buckets of grapes. Most years I have a few. Last year the size of the grapes were puny and bad. This year, I tried my hand at severe pruning after the leaves fell and pruning non-productive whips and shortening all vines. One vine has no grapes, one has about 3 groups of grapes and the other is quite productive. What did I do? What should I do?

Answer: Grape production has as much to do with variety and weather as it does with pruning. I don't think you damaged yoru grapevines with severe pruning, I think the pruning, combined with the variety, the weather and/or health of the vines is what is slowing or stopping your production. Here's a publication from Washington State University with pruning guidelines along with sketches and photos. It's really comprehensive and links to other issues of grape growing which you might find helpful.