The Q&A Archives: dirt

Question: I would like to start a garden, but I am not sure about the red dirt. How do I go about starting a garden? What all will I need? Any preps?? Thanks in advance. Mary

Answer: Mary,

Here are some keys to getting off to a successful start in gardening. The foundation of a good garden is well prepared soil. I would contact the County Extension Office and inquire about having your soil tested. While you are waiting on the soil test results take the necessary steps to remove or destroy any weeds in the garden area. This is especially important if there are perennial weeds such as nutsedge or bermudagrass. This may require digging or spraying with an appropriate labeled product. When the soil test results are in add any needed nutrients to bring them up to the desired level. Spread about 2 inches of compost over the soil and mix it in about 6 inches deep with a spading fork or rototiller. This will do more than anything to improve the soil by improving both internal drainages as well as nutrient and moisture holding capacity. Choose a spot with plenty of sunlight both vegetables and most flowers need sun to bloom and produce well.

The following web site will provide more info to help you get started:

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"