The Q&A Archives: Herbs

Question: I have a plot-6x8ft. I would like to plant chives, daiseys, lemon balm, dill, lavender, rosemary, and parsley. Can you provide me with a layout for this?

Answer: I can't provide you with a drawing, but I can walk you through the process. All the plants you list grow best in full sunshine. If the planting area is adjacent to a wall or fence, simply put the largest plants in back. Lemon balm, dill, lavender and rosemary have the potential for being the largest, daisy's are next, with chives and parsley being the smallest (both in height and width). If your plot is stand-alone, with no walls or buildings adjacent, place the largest plants in the center, encircled or bordered by the shortest plants. This way the large plants won't shade the smaller ones. An added bonus is that you'll be harvesting the parsley and chives more frequently than the others and they will be in easy reach.

Best wishes with your herb garden.