The Q&A Archives: PH in Asparagus Bed

Question: I have added pelletized lime to the soil in my asparagus beds because the pH is too low (5.9-6.2). What else should I do?

Answer: The optimum pH range for asparagus is between 6.5 and 7.0. Now that you have added the lime to the soil, I wouldn't add any other amendment to raise the pH, or you might overdo it. Lime is rather slow-acting, so wait a couple of months and then do another soil test. (Pelletized lime is faster-acting than the granular, so you may the right choice.) If you still need to raise the pH higher, gently mix a little wood ash into the soil between the rows. This is where the roots are concentrated. Don't let the ashes come into contact with the roots themselves. Once you get the pH up to about 6.5, consider your efforts successful. Good luck and good harvesting. <br><br>