The Q&A Archives: Late Summer Planting

Question: I just moved and would like to replace the sparse landscaping that our homebuilder planted in front of our house. I would like something that will look nice throught the fall and winter, can be planted in July/August (and won't die in the Texas heat), and that could potentially be replaced with annuals come springtime. The bed gets sun but is rather small. Any suggestions? I'm a first-time gardener! Thank you!

Answer: Megan,

I would plant the large pom pom type marigolds in orange and yellow now and have great color through the first frost. Then change the bed to dusty miller and pansies or violas to carry you through spring. If you need to plant any perennials, shrubs or other woody ornamentals October or November is the best time to do so.