The Q&A Archives: Old Apple Trees

Question: I Have 25 Apple Trees that have not be cared for in years.<br>They still produce apples. Small in size and not as many as they should. Question? Can I bring these trees back to health so they can produce a crop again?<br>

Answer: Your orchard can be rehabilitated, but it will take some work. Prune to remove dead, diseased, crossing or rubbing branches, then prune to shape. There are several books devoted to pruning that you can find at your local library. After the trees have setfruit, thin the fruit. (there's a natural fruit drop in June) Remove all but one or two fruit from each cluster. The result will be fewer, but larger apples. Plan to take your time in renovating your orchard. If you prune too heavily, you'll loseyour apple harvest!