The Q&A Archives: transplanting jade

Question: My mother in law gave me cuttings from her jade plant when she got a cat. All the cuttings are in one pot and there are about 5. They are quite big and I need to find out what is the best way to seperate them into thier own pots. I know when you take a cutting it needs to be in a dark area for 48 hours. What is the procedure for seperating jade when the cuttings where all planted together? The cuttings are about six-eight inches high.

Answer: It should be a simple process to divide and transplant your jade. Each of the cuttings should have their own root systems, making them each separate plants. Start by getting some new pots and filling them about 2/3 full of moistened potting soil. Then lay the pot with the jade plants on its side and gently pull the whole plant out of the pot. You should be able to easily pull each of the little plants away and pot them up in your prepared pots. Water them well after transplanting and set them in normal light, similiar to what they had when they were growing all together in the single pot. No other special treatment is required.

Best wishes with your jade plants!