The Q&A Archives: hydranges

Question: why did my hydranges only bloom a few flowers this year?

Answer: There are several reasons why flowering might be reduced. Most hydrangeas bloom on old wood that grew the year before. Winter damage to the branches or prunign at the wrong time will remove flowering wood. Another cause is that spring frosts can damage the new growth and flower buds. Another is excess shade. Yet another possible cause would be the weather during the growing season -- drought will limit flowering. And, lack of fertility can limit flowering. These plants do best in rich, organic, evenly moist yet well drained soil. Topdressing with compost and using an organic mulch year round will help feed the soil slowly over time. You might also use a slow release granular fertilizer each spring per the label directions. And water as needed to supplement rain so the soil stays damp like a wrung out sponge. I hope this helps you trouble shoot.