The Q&A Archives: color change

Question: Why did my Bromeliad (Scarlet Star) flower turn from red to a brownish color. I only water the center with warm water and it is in a west window.

Answer: Based on your description I think the flower has naturally aged and faded over time. You should trim it off. Once a bromeliad flowers, the mother plant dies off. It is usually replaced by offsets or "pups" growing from the base. I should also mention that although this plant likes bright light, it will not tolerate direct sun as it would receive up close to a west window and your plant may have suffered a bit from excess direct sun or sunburn. For best results give it bright but indirect light, keep the "cup" filled with tepid water (not ice cold, not hot) and maintain high humidity around it. Good luck with your Scarlet Star!