The Q&A Archives: Germinating Greenbeans and Peas from Seed

Question: I am having only about a 20% success rate with greenbean and pea seeds when planted directly into the soil. All other seeds are about 90% success rate. Can you give me any suggestions for starting greenbean and pea seeds? Dan Whelan Ventura, CA

Answer: 0F, but they germinate best in 60 degrees F to 70 degrees F soils. Remember to water well. Seeds need a good supply of water in order to germinate, but don't like to be waterlogged or they will rot. Greenbeans prefer a well-drained soil of averagepaper towel. Place 10-20 seeds on the towel. Cover the seed with another wet paper towel. Place the seeds and towels in a plastic bag and then place the bag at room temperature (65 degress F) out of the sun. Observe how long the seeds take to germinateas well as the percentage that germinate. That should give you an idea of how many seeds would germinate if you planted them in the soil..