The Q&A Archives: Bell pepper - Lime green color

Question: All my Bell peppers are a lime green color and shaped like long peppers. The one's that get close to maturity get a soft brown spot and then they start to die. What do I need to do to get them a nice dark green color or Red? Is is a lack of nutrient? The leaves are nice a dark green with purple in the stems. I thought maybe they were peppers but they smell like Bell peppers.

Answer: From your description, it sounds as though you are growing banana peppers, also called Hungarian Wax Peppers. These are yellowish at maturity and long. Bell peppers have distinctive shoulders, even when they are just forming on the plant. Try comparing your peppers with the assortment available at the grocery store. I think you'll find your answer there.

The soft spot is probably bacterial soft rot. If you harvest the pepper as soon as you recognize a spot developing, you can save part of the pepper (simply cut the soft spot out before consuming). There's no way to prevent the problem once it has started. It often starts in a wound, either from sunscald or insect injury.

Best wishes with your peppers!