The Q&A Archives: Mulch type

Question: I have a fairly steep slope on the south side of my yard. What type of mulch will stay in place the best?

Answer: I'd think in terms of an evergreen groundcover for a permanent solution to slowing or stopping soil erosion. If you simply want to mulch the area, you can use a heavy material such as 1-2" river rocks or bark nuggets. After installing the mulch, tamp it down with a lawn roller to make a dense layer that is somewhat interlocked. If you don't walk on the area, the mulch should stay in place.

Good luck with your landscape.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by Char and is called "'Diamond Head' Sunrise"