The Q&A Archives: Low lying, full Sun Perennials and/or low lying tropical plants suitable for climate

Question: A Christmas tree planted 23 years ago recently died (believe pine beatles destroyed it). Have cut tree down and disposed a couple of layers of old pine needles and other debris. What's left seems to be suitable as mulch. Want to plant colorful low lying perennials and/or tropical plants (not a lot of maintenance required). Area gets morning to early afternoon direct sunlight. Need list of possibilities. Thank you.

Answer: Peggie,

Tropicals won't make it in your area due to the winter cold. However there are many great perennials to choose from in a site with good sun exposure like that. I'll refer you to the following web site to get a list and more info than I can fit in this e-mail reply.